Using the Edison Public Library
Library RulesWelcome to the Edison Public library. In order to ensure fairness, efficient operation and the best possible service certain rules must be administered. Below you will find a quick list of library policies established to ensure the most pleasant and efficient service.
Material Item Limit Loan Period Renewable New Books None 2 weeks Yes Books None 4 weeks Yes Books for school assignments/holidays None 2 weeks Yes Children's Computer Games 5 2 weeks Yes Magazines 5 2 weeks Yes Pamphlets 5 2 weeks Yes Children's book cassettes 5 2 weeks Yes Music CDs 5 2 weeks Yes Playaways 5 2 weeks Yes Books-on-tape 5 2 weeks Yes CDs 5 2 weeks Yes New Videos 2 2 days No New DVDs 2 2 days No Videos 5 1 week Yes DVDs 5 1 week Yes Leappad 1 2 weeks Yes
Fines and Fees
Overdue fines are $ .25 per day for all library items except:
Playaways $ 2.00 per day Videos/Computer Games $ 2.00 per item Expired reserve items $ 1.00 per item
Rental books $ 0.25 per day All Videos/DVDs $ 1.00 per item
Adult Internet Access Computers
- Public access to the Internet is available to all users wth a valid Edison library card as a resource in support of our role as the community's information and learning center. Our Internet use policy is posted in each library. Visitor passes are available for people without a library card for Internet access only.
- Individuals may sign up to use the Internet for a 60 minute period and your library card number is required to enter the new Internet security system.
- The Internet in the children's department may only be used by children under the age of 13. Printing is available at a cost of $.15 per page.
- Please note that KidsClick! and other bookmarked sites on the children's department computers are not internet filters. They do not prevent children from using alternate browsers to surf for other internet addresses. These sites are intended to guide users to good sites; not block them from "bad" sites.
- Parents have the ultimate responsibility to supervise their children's use of our internet computers.
- Children's internet computers are available to children 12 years of age and under.
- Since filtering software is not used on public library computers parents must be responsible for supervising the content their children research on these computers.
- Parents of children second grade and younger must physically be seated at the computer with their children at all times.
- Adults are not permitted to use internet computers in the children's department but are invited to make use of the computers in the adult department.
- Internet use is limited to two half hour periods in a single day.
- Access to the internet can only be obtained with the use of your Edison Library card.
- Staff is not permitted to look up your card number.
Library Catalog Computers
Meeting RoomsThe Edison Township Free Public Library adheres to Article VI of the LIBRARY BILL OF RIGHTS adopted by the American Libraries Association Council, and endorsed by the New Jersey Library Association. An interpretation of the LIBRARY BILL OF RIGHTS is stated in the NJLA Intellectual Freedom Manual as follows:
If meeting rooms in libraries supported by public funds are made available to the general public for non-library sponsored events, the library may not exclude any group based on the subject matter to be discussed or based on the ideas that the group advocates.
- Organizations who desire to use the meeting room are required to complete the application form. Application forms are available at the Main Library, North Edison Branch, and Clara Barton Branch.
- The Librarian will notify the organization that authorization for the use of the building has been granted. Applicable restrictions will be noted.
- Applications must be forwarded early for the desired date and time to be granted. (Bookings may be limited). Buildings are in constant demand and priority is established in the order the applications are received.
- Library activities will take precedence over the allocation of rooms to organizations. The library reserves the right to cancel any authorization in the interest of need for library purposes.
- Organizations shall establish necessary measures to conform with the following regulations of the library:
- SUPERVISION - Buildings shall be made available only to responsible adult groups that will provide supervision of all participants and activities. Adult sponsors are responsible for the behavior of the group as well as for the protection of the building and its contents. Meetings held at the Main Library, North Edison Branch or Clara Barton Branch must end 15 minutes prior to closing.
- SMOKING, DRINKING OF ALCOHOL AND COOKING IS PROHIBITED IN THE LIBRARY OR MEETING ROOM - Organizations shall inform all members of their staff and all members of their audiences of this prohibition, and take necessary steps to insure compliance.
- CLEAN-UP - Organizations shall be responsible for cleaning up any litter or refuse left as a direct result of their activities. This includes dishes, garbage, paper, tidiness of rooms, etc. No paints or messy craft work will be allowed.
- VEHICLES - Vehicles must be legally parked.
- COMPLIANCE FAILURE - Failure to comply with the rules and regulations of the library will result in the denial of the use of the building for future occasions.
- FEES -
The following fees will be charges for the use of the library meeting rooms and must be paid before using the rooms:
Non-Profit Organizations: $35.00 per use. Profit-Making Orizanizations: $75.00 per use Children's and Senior Citizens Organizations:No charge.
- No group or organization may charge for their services while using the library facilities. However, a fee may be collected if it is used to purchase food or supplies.
- CANCELLATIONS - Any cancellation of a meeting room reservation must be made five business days before the scheduled meeting date. If the organization cancels a room reservation less than five business days prior to their scheduled date, the meeting room fee shall revert to the library.
- LIBRARY CLOSINGS - In the event that the library must close due to equipment failure or inclement weather, all efforts will be made to notify the organizations scheduled to use the meeting rooms. During adverse weather conditions, the group should check with the library or listen to radio station WCTC 1450 AM.
- ROOM SET-UP AND CLEAN-UP - Groups are responsible for their own set-up of chairs, tables, etc. and must return the room to the condition in which it was found before leaving.
- Library cards are issued free of charge to residents who live or own property in Edison.
- Proof of residence, employment in Edison or school enrollment in Edison is required to obtain a library card. Cards must be renewed every 3 years except for those who work or are enrolled in Edison schools and do not live in the township. These 2 type of cards must be renewed annually.
- Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately. Replacement fee for a lost card is $1.
- Library cards are issued when a child enters kindergarten. A parent's signature is required for children up to the age of 18.
- An Edison Township Library Card may be used at the Main Library, North Edison Branch, the Clara Barton Branch, and the Bookmobile. A valid Library Card enables one to borrow the following: Books, Magazines, Pamphlets, Books on Tape, Music CDs, Videos, DVDs and computer software.
- Our library participates in reciprocal borrowing with many libraries in the area. Residents with a valid Library Card are entitled to borrow materials from these libraries. Certain restrictions may apply. Ask at the Circulation Desk for the latest list of participating libraries
- IDENTIFICATION ACCEPTED FOR LIBRARY CARD
REGISTARTION: Only one form of identification is required. All forms of ID must show
name, address and expiration date. Bills must be dated within three
- Driver's License/Driver's Permit
- Edison Township Tax Bill
- Lease/Rental Agreeme
- Motor Vehicle Identification or Car Insurance Bill
- Senior Citizen ID Card
- Temporary INS Visa Status Card
- Utility Bill/Credit Card Bill
- NOT ACCEPTED IDENTIFICATION:
- Social Security Card
- Personal Mail
- Bank Statement
- P.O. Box
- Registration for our programs begins at age 2.
- Our children's programs are open to Edison residents first and are limited in size due to program room space.
- Edison adults with children visiting from outside of our township will be accepted into our programs no sooner than one day before the event takes place.
- Registration is taken by phone, in person or through our Programs and Events page on a first come first serve basis. If your child (or children) cannot attend a program, please call the Library as soon as possible, prior to the start of the program, so that another child can attend. Repeated failure to notify the Library will result in your child having to wait one month before reapplying for a program. Please be considerate!
- Only parents or regular caregivers may register their child. Please do not attempt to register your friends.If we have a waiting list for a program, our staff will attempt to contact those on the registration list the day before the program to make sure that the children are still attending. This is a courtesy call if time permits. Parents are still asked to take the responsibility to call us if they do not intend to come to a program.
- After careful consideration, the Library Board has decided to have a "No Sibling" policy. In other words, only the children registered for the program will be permitted in the program room with their parents. This "No Sibling" policy offers you and your child quality time without distraction. We hope that parents will work together to assist each other with childcare during our Library programs.
- Some infant programs require a parent or caregiver to be present at all times. Please ask about this when registering for any preschool programs.
- Programs for 3 to 5 year olds require the parent or caregiver to remain in the building, although they do not enter the program room due to space limitations. This program will be a 2-week series and children must be able to attend the majority of the sessions to register
- Signs in the library's children's department
- Monthly calendars available the last Monday of each month
- Our Web Page WWW.LMXAC.ORG/EDISONLIB
- Or calling and asking our children's department staff
Additonal Policies and Procedures available at the Edison Public Library.